Wednesday 2 November 2011

Examples of how filmakers have interpretted our theme (loss) in their own films - Part 1



I really like the surreal quality the filmmaker has used in this film At the end – where you realise she has potentially daydreamed the whole thing, yet the male character approaches her and says ‘I know I had an amazing time, I know you had an amazing time, but neither of us remembers it’ and the woman cries – it’s almost as if she is mourning the loss of what could have been.

Also, I really like how the characters immediately had a link to each other, simply through the use of cohesive styling (in terms of the matching sunglasses). The effect of this, paired with the mundane clothing of the extras in the scene, makes the audience sense an immediate connection between the 2 characters, as if they are both from an endangered alien species.

In terms of what I would take from this short film that I would incorporate into my groups opening scene, I really liked the way in which she was filmed among the crowd, as it managed to still be quite active with the use of camera angles (including mid shots, cut-aways and some close-ups) while still focusing on the main objective of the scene, which was to show how isolated she is, even among a crowd.

No comments:

Post a Comment